City Departments >
City Clerk >
Birth Certificate Request
Birth Certificate Request - FOR THE CITY OF BUFFALO ONLY
Please E-mail us your suggestions or Comments
Birth records start at 1878 to present.
New birth questions: (716) 851-5447 or (716) 851-5437
Mail-In request questions: email@example.com
General inquiries: (716) 851-5432
- Birth records are available at the Buffalo City Clerk's Office located on the 13th floor of City Hall. You must show proper identification as indicated under "Identification Requirements"
- Office hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Application for Birth Certificate
- REQUESTING A RECORD IN PERSON: You must provide government issued photo ID and meet eligibility requirements depending on the type of document you are seeking. The fee is $10 per certificate payable by money order, credit card MasterCard® or Visa®. or cash.
- Note: Wallet-sized photo birth certificates are available (only in person) for $25. The same criteria applies as for a hardcopy birth certificate.
- REQUESTING A RECORD VIA INTERNET: The City of Buffalo Vital Records does not accept credit cards for online orders; however, for your convenience, you can process online requests through an independent company that we have partnered with to provide you this service; VitalChek Network, Inc. VitalChek can be reached either through its website, www.vitalchek.com, or by phone at 1-800-255-2414. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard® or Visa®.
- REQUESTING A RECORD VIA MAIL: Orders are processed within 7-10 days from receipt of mail request and the following information must be included:
- Enclose a written request with the following information: name on birth certificate, date of birth, father's name and mother's maiden name
- Enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope
- Money order payable to the City Clerk ($10 per certificate)
- Copy of government issued photo ID
- Proof of address if your address on your ID is not current and send to:
1302 City Hall
65 Niagara Square
Buffalo NY 14202
Fees: If no record is on file, a NO RECORD CERTIFICATION will be issued and the fee will NOT be refunded.
We do not send records to third parties or PO Boxes.
Birth certificates are NOT subject to the provisions of the Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) and are NOT open to public inspection.
Who is eligible to obtain a birth certificate copy?
- The person named on the birth certificate.
- A parent of the person named on the birth certificate (requesting parent's name must be on birth certificate)
- Only by order of a New York State Court or a Government agency for a legal or proper purpose may a spouse, child or other
persons obtain a copy of a birth certificate.
Fee for certified copy is $10.00 per certificate.
Fee for photo birth certificate is $25.00 (in person request only)
Identification Requirements - application must be submitted with copies of EITHER A or B:
A. One (1) of the following forms of valid photo ID:
- Drivers license with photo
- Non-driver photo ID card
- Nexus Pass
- Pistol Permit
- Other government issued photo ID
B. Five (5) of the following showing the applicant's name and address:
- Utility bills (gas, electric, phone, cable
- Paycheck stubs
- Social Services card
- Social Security card
- Health Insurance card
- Mortgage/Rental lease statement
Failure to include necessary identification will result in rejection of your application.
A copy of Passport is required if request is made from a foreign country that requires a U.S. Passport for travel.