Press Releases >
2016 Earth Day Calendar
2016 Earth Day Calendar
Mayor Byron W. Brown today announced a calendar of Earth Day events which will take place across the City of Buffalo in April. Although April 22 is the official date Earth Day is observed in the U.S., events focusing on the environment will be taking place throughout the month, all around the City.
Mayor Brown stated, “Each year, Earth Day—April 22—marks the anniversary of the birth of the modern environmental movement in 1970. Forty-six years later, it’s more critical than ever to observe the importance of our natural resources to our environment and economy. I’m proud of the city’s efforts in making Buffalo a cleaner, greener and more sustainable city and I encourage city residents to take part in this year’s Earth Day activities.”
- April 15 --- 1:30 P.M. --- Annual Ceremonial City Hall Tree Planting, Mayor Brown will help plant a Crab Apple Tree at 182 Court Street, behind City Hall.
- April 16 --- 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. --- Re-Tree WNY/Buffalo Green Fund city-wide tree planting event; volunteers from block clubs and other organizations across the City of Buffalo will plant more than 437 shade and ornamental “sidewalk” trees.
- April 22 --- 11 a.m. --- 34andMore Recycling First Anniversary, along Allen Street (between Delaware Ave. and Franklin St.). Mayor Brown will provide an update on the success of the 34andMore recycling initiative. He will also stencil a 34andMore logo on the sidewalk in partnership with the Allentown Association and Green City Window project, which is unveiling art displays made from “up-cycled” materials in more than a dozen store windows on Allen Street and elsewhere in the city.
- April 22 --- 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. --- E-junk drop-off at City Honors School to benefit Pelion Community Garden, 206 Best St. (across street from CHS). Volunteers are also needed from 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. to assist with spring preparation of the garden. Donations of garden tools and seeds are sought.
- April 23rd --- 9 a.m. to Noon --- Earth Day Celebration, Cazenovia Park. Events will include Community Shredding of household/personal documents, composting demonstration, WNY Coalition for Donated Goods Clothing/Shoe recycling drop-off, and GObike Buffalo bicycle recycling drop-off.
- April 23rd --- 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. — Republic Services Recycling Materials Facility Open House, located in the rear of Speed Warehouse Complex, 2299 Kenmore Avenue. City residents are encouraged to see where the recycling goes after it is collected at the curb. Refreshments will be served.
- April 23rd --- 10 a.m. to Noon --- Buffalo Niagara Riverkeeper Spring Shoreline Sweep; volunteers will conduct a clean-up along waterways in seven City of Buffalo parks and five other public recreation areas. For more information on how volunteer call: 852-7483 x 26.
For additional information on events, visit www.city-buffalo.com/recycle. Clcik here to view Earth Day Calendar